The United States is home to 98 unicorn companies that are each valued at $1B+. As of 12/19/2016, nine private US companies are worth over $10B. The three most valuable unicorns in the US are Uber ($68B), Airbnb ($30B), and Palantir Technologies ($20B), and all of them are located in California, the state with by far-and-away the most unicorns. Ten other US states are also home to at least one company worth $1B+. Rounding out the top three are New York and Massachusetts.
Using the CB Insights database and our real-time global unicorn tracker we visualized the locations of every US-based unicorn in the map below.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
Key insights about the companies in this map:
- Collectively, US unicorns are worth approximately $372B.
- Combined, these companies have raised just over $67B.
- After California, New York, and Massachusetts, Illinois ranks fourth and Utah and Florida tie for fifth in terms of number of unicorns.
- The top five most well-funded US unicorns are: Uber ($12.5B raised), Airbnb ($3.9B), Infor ($2.6B), Snap ($2.6B), and Palantir Technologies ($1.9B). Infor is the only unicorn out of the top 5 based outside California; it is located in New York.
- The oldest unicorn in the US is the greentech company Bloom Energy, which reached a valuation above $1B in 2009.
- The newest unicorn in the US is the travel tech company JetSmarter, which became a unicorn in December 2016.
- The three most active investors in US-based unicorns, by total number of deals to these companies, are the VC firms Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Khosla Ventures.
Track all the unicorns in this brief and many more on our platform
Sign up for a free trial and look for Unicorns- Billion Dollar Startups in the Collections tab.
Want more data on high-momentum startups? Log in to CB Insights or sign up for free below.