While Dreamworks’ acquisition of teen entertainment channel AwesomenessTV for $33M – with an incentives-based payout as high as $117M – was a big win for venture investors including Greycroft Partners and MK Capital, they’re not the only YouTube network out there. We identified eight additional venture-backed YouTube Networks that have raised venture capital financing for producing, marketing and/or distributing YouTube video content.
These companies range from Google Ventures-backed Machinima, a YouTube network for gamers which raised its most recent round of capital at a rumored $190M valuation, to MiTu, a YouTube network for Latino lifestyle content backed by The Chernin Group among other investors. Together, the eight start-ups have raised $167M in venture capital financing with several investors backing multiple YouTube networks. The most frequent backers of these networks include the likes of Greycroft, Redpoint Ventures, The Chernin Group and MK Capital.
A free PDF detailing these eight companies along with their investors and funding details can be found under the ‘Research‘ tab after logging in to CB Insights. (Note: This is available to anybody who logs into CB Insights – not just our paid subscribers)
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity