In August, students across the country went back to school – and Yik Yak exploded in popularity. The rise of Yik Yak is most pronounced in its overall app rank, which now stands far ahead of fellow anonymous social apps Whisper and Secret.
And with its new $62M infusion from Sequoia Capital and WhatsApp investor Jim Goetz, the app is also more well-capitalized. Fellow Sequoia-backed app Whisper has raised $54M in funding while Secret has raised $35M. The chart below highlights the three apps in the overall App Store ranks, along with key capital infusions over the last year. Of note, Yik Yak jumped to the top 25 overall apps in the App Store on August 28th and has remained in or around there since.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity