Back in 2014, we looked at some of the most well-funded stealth tech startups. The list was headlined by companies like Jet.com, Vessel, and Soft Machines, all of which have subsequently come out of stealth.
We dug back into the data to identify the most well-funded US stealth tech startups today, which have raised at least $10M.
Not all the startups on the old list have come out of stealth: in fact, the current list is headlined by CNEX Labs, which was on the 2014 list, but ranked in 10th place back then. Now, with an additional $18.8M in Series A-II financing in 2015, it has a total of $38.8M in disclosed funding and ranks first overall.
Other interesting data points:
- 12 of the 14 companies are based in California, with New Jersey-based Symbolic IO and New York-based Hyper Labs as the only non-California companies.
- The 14 most well-funded US-based stealth tech startups have raised over $250M combined.
- 4 of the 14 companies have yet to disclose their investors. Lightspeed Venture Partners and Khosla Ventures are the only VCs with multiple investments on the list.
- Symbolic IO has been stealth the longest. Its first funding round was in July 2013. The median time from first fundraise for these 14 companies is ~405 days.
|Rank||Company||Area of Focus||Total Funding ($M)||Select Investors|
|1||CNEX Labs||Big data storage||$38.8||IDEA Fund Partners, Sierra Ventures|
|3||Krypton||Mobile productivity||$25.0||General Catalyst Partners, Greylock Partners, Khosla Ventures|
|4||Velo3D||3D printing||$22.1||Khosla Ventures|
|5||Jut||Enterprise IT||$20.0||Accel Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Wing|
|9||Mist Systems||Mobile||$14.4||Lightspeed Venture Partners, Norwest Venture Partners|
|10||MosaixSoft||Cloud Computing||$12.6||Lightspeed Venture Partners|
|11||Forward Networks||Networking Solutions||$11.9||A Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, SV Angel|
|12||Hyperscience||AI/Machine Learning||$10.9||Firstmark Capital, High Line Venture Partners, Slow Ventures|
|13||Dremio||Big Data||$10.0||Lightspeed Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures|
|13||Globality||Big Data||$10.0||Al Gore, Sheryl Sandberg, Ron Johnson|
*Only companies that have raised financing since 2014 and that remain in stealth mode as of January 11th, 2016 were included.
Image source: Prayitno // Flickr
Want more stealth startup financing data? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity