Our map infographic shows the top tech startups in every US state, as determined by funding totals. Companies include Uber, Magic Leap, DraftKings, and Vox Media.
The tech boom has diffused beyond the traditional hotbeds of California, New York, and Massachusetts, across the entire United States.
In our latest map of the most well-funded American tech startup in each state, some companies with the deepest pockets were found in Florida (Magic Leap, $2.4B in disclosed equity funding), Illinois (Avant, $655M), and Georgia (Kabbage, $490M).
Using the CB Insights database, we identified the most-well funded VC-backed technology startups by state based on disclosed equity funding.
We excluded funding from debt, loans, and lines of credit, and only considered tech companies that have raised at least $1M of equity funding since January 2014.
The full list of startups is included below the map.
Please click to enlarge.
- The most well-funded US tech startup is California’s Uber, with $15.7B in disclosed equity funding (as of 4/9/2019). It is followed by New York’s Infor ($4.1B in equity funding) and Florida’s Magic Leap ($2.4B).
- Our map includes 10 unicorn companies valued at $1B+, including ride-hailing company Uber ($72B valuation), video game developer Epic Games ($15B valuation), and direct-to-consumer teeth alignment startup Smile Direct Club ($3.2B valuation).
- Four startups on the map have raised over $1B in total disclosed equity financing: Uber, Infor, Magic Leap, and Epic Games. All of these are valued at $1B or more.
- Including the 4 startups mentioned above, a total of 29 companies on the map have raised $100M or more in equity funding.
- 15 of the VC-backed startups on our list have raised less than $50M in equity. The VC-backed startup with the least funding on this list is Oklahoma’s SendaRide.
|State||Company||Total Equity Funding ($M)|
|Arizona||IO Data Centers||311|
|Connecticut||Cedar Gate Technologies||220|
|Maine||Tilson Technology Management||109.4|
|Mississippi*||Next Gear Solutions||11.05|
|Montana||Blackmore Sensors & Analytics||21.5|
|New Mexico||Skorpios Technologies||45.17|
|North Carolina||Epic Games||1595|
|North Dakota||Myriad Mobile||10.6|
|South Carolina||Commerce Guys||46.3|
|South Dakota||Covered Insurance Solutions||4.63|
|Wyoming*||Mountain Origins Design (dba Stio)||17.2|
*Alaska, Mississippi, and Wyoming had no companies meeting all of our criteria.