From DataRobot and Olive to Epic Games and Magic Leap, our infographic shows the top private tech company in every state, based on funding totals.
The tech boom has diffused beyond the traditional hotbeds of California, New York, and Massachusetts, spreading across the entire US.
In our latest map of the most well-funded tech startup in each state, some companies with the deepest pockets were found in North Carolina (Epic Games, $4.4B), Florida (Magic Leap, $3B), and Georgia (OneTrust, $930M). All together, the companies on this map have raised more than $40B.
the top-funded tech startups in the US
Download an excel file with each company’s equity funding, valuation, and more.
Using CB Insights data, we identified the most well-funded technology startups by state based on total disclosed equity funding. The full list of startups is included below the map.
Our analysis ranks private tech companies based on total disclosed equity funding. Companies included have raised at least $1M in equity funding since January 2016. All companies on our map are VC-backed, with the exception of West Virginia.
Please click to enlarge.
Key takeaways from the top tech startups in the US
- The most well-funded US tech startup is California-based e-cigarette company JUUL Labs, with a whopping $15B in disclosed equity funding. Most recently, the company raised a $700M mega-round in February 2020, earning it a $12B valuation.
- After JUUL, the most well-funded startups on our map are North Carolina-based video game developer Epic Games ($4.4B in equity funding) and Pennsylvania-based delivery service goPuff ($3.4B).
- Our map features 19 unicorn companies valued at $1B+, including cybersecurity company Tanium (WA, $9B valuation), healthcare-focused RPA company Olive (OH, $4B valuation), and corporate training platform Articulate (NY, $3.8B valuation).
- New York-based Articulate is the most recently minted unicorn on our map: the online training platform hit a $3.8B valuation following its $1.5B Series A round in July 2021.
- 7 companies on the map have raised over $1B in total disclosed equity financing: JUUL Labs, Epic Games, GoPuff, Magic Leap, Articulate, Tanium, and DataRobot. All of these companies are valued at over $1B.
- Including the 7 startups mentioned above, 35 companies on the map have raised $100M or more in equity funding.
- 11 of the startups on our map have raised $50M or less in equity funding. The venture capital-backed startup with the least funding on the map is Alaska’s 60Hertz Energy, which develops energy asset maintenance software.
- The bulk of these companies (31) have raised funding in 2021; just 8 last raised prior to 2020.
Since our last update of the map in February 2021, there have been 4 exits: Maryland’s Xometry, New York’s UiPath, and Virginia’s Privia Health each made their IPO, while Oregon’s Vacasa is going public via a SPAC.
List of top-funded tech startups in the US
|State||Company||Total Equity Funding ($M)|
|North Carolina||Epic Games||4,375|
|Minnesota||Arctic Wolf Networks||498|
|Connecticut||Cedar Gate Technologies||220|
|Rhode Island||Virgin Pulse||125|
|Maine||Tilson Technology Management||109|
|New Mexico||Descartes Labs||58|
|South Carolina||Commerce Guys||46|
|West Virginia||Skylake Wireless*||19|
*Company is not VC-backed
To learn about the top tech startups outside of the US, check out our articles below:sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.