The next step in computing beyond smartphones and tablets could be wearables. Startups in the space are taking aim at large industries like apparel and healthcare.
The wearables industry has cooled off in 2015, with deals and funding down from last year, but a few dozen startups have carved out a place for themselves in certain industries and are taking on established players. We used CB Insights data to identify 42 startups attacking fitness, apparel, healthcare, to name just a few of the areas. We mapped out the startups — one-fourth of them early-stage companies — in the graphic shown below.
- Unsurprisingly, the largest categories were consumer fitness bands and smart watches, a large and relatively established market led by Jawbone and the now-public FitBit. Other products in this area were more specialized infant wearables (Owlet, Sproutling) or wearables custom-designed for certain sports. For instance, Zepp Labs focuses on “club and bat” sports and Sensoria makes a smart ankle sock for distance runners.
- Biometric sensors was the next largest category, mostly comprised of startups trying to hack the brain and body with high-tech consumer-targeted wearables. For example, Thalmic Labs‘ wearables read electric signals from muscles, Ybrain and InteraXon (Muse) read brainwaves, and Thync transmits mood-elevating neurosignals.
- Startups focused on the enterprise applications were also well-represented. APX Labs and Wearable Intelligence target heavy industry, and Augmedix and Quanttus are bringing smart wearables to healthcare charting and patient monitoring.
The selected 42 companies raised a combined $1.9B in investment over 105 deals. And more than one quarter of the chosen startups are still early-stage companies.
Click image to enlarge.
Below is a full list of the companies in the graphic broken down by target area. If there are other emerging companies that you think should be highlighted, let us know in the comments.
|Jawbone||Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Misfit Wearables||Bessemer Venture Partners, Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures, GGV Capital||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Sproutling||First Round Capital, Shawn Fanning||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Sensoria||Reply SpA, Startcaps Ventures||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Motiv||Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Moov||Banyan Capital||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Owlet Baby Care||ff Venture Capital, Peak Capital, TechStars||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Atlas Wearables||In-Q-Tel, JRG Capital||Health and Fitness Bands|
|Ringly||Andreessen Horowitz, First Round Capital, High Line Venture Partners||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|Pebble Technology||CRV, Y Combinator||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|Olio Devices||New Enterprise Associates, Serra Ventures||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|Narrative||Khosla Ventures, Passion Capital, True Ventures||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|Doppler Labs||Universal Music Group, William Morris Endeavor, Live Nation Entertainment, Acequia Capital||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|Polyera||Solvay Group, Chengwei Capital, Tsing Capital, Solvay Group||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|Beddit||Inventure||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|Withings||Ventech, 360 Capital Partners||Smart Watches & Accessories|
|OMsignal||Bessemer Venture Partners||Smart Apparel|
|Athos Works||DCM Ventures, True Ventures, The Social+Capital Partnership||Smart Apparel|
|LUMO BodyTech||Innovation Endeavors, Madrona Venture Group||Smart Apparel|
|InteraXon (Muse)||Felicis Ventures, ff Venture Capital, A-Grade, OMERS Ventures||Biometric Sensors|
|Thalmic Labs||Spark Capital, Intel Capital, First Round Capital, Y Combinator||Biometric Sensors|
|Thync||Andreessen Horowitz, Khosla Ventures||Biometric Sensors|
|Halo Neuroscience||Andreessen Horowitz, Kima Ventures, Lux Capital||Biometric Sensors|
|mCube||Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, iD Ventures America, DAG Ventures||Biometric Sensors|
|Nymi||Salesforce Ventures, MasterCard Worldwide, Ignition Partners||Biometric Sensors|
|Zepp Labs||GGV Capital, Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments||Biometric Sensors|
|Ybrain||Stonebridge Capital||Biometric Sensors|
|Magic Leap||Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Andreessen Horowitz, Google, Qualcomm Ventures, Legendary Entertainment||AR / VR Headsets|
|Survios||Felicis Ventures, Shasta Ventures||AR / VR Headsets|
|Avegant||Intel Capital, NHN Investment Corporation, 500 Startups, DN Capital||AR / VR Headsets|
|APX Labs||New Enterprise Associates, Salesforces Ventures||Industrial / Enterprise|
|Wearable Intelligence||Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Andreessen Horowitz, First Round Capital, Google Ventures||Industrial / Enterprise|
|Theatro||Khosla Ventures||Industrial / Enterprise|
|Ineda Systems||Qualcomm Ventures, Cisco Investments, Samsung Ventures||Industrial / Enterprise|
|Augmedix||DCM Ventures, Emergence Capital Partners, Rock Health||Industrial / Enterprise|
|Neurosky||Taiwan Global BioFund, Taicom Capital||Industrial / Enterprise|
|Quanttus||Khosla Ventures, Matrix Partners||Industrial / Enterprise|
|Little Labs||New Enterprise Associates, Lowercase Capital||App Development|
|Lemonade Lab||Foxconn Technology Company||App Development|
|Everywear Games||True Ventures, Lifeline Ventures||App Development|
|Ledong Information Technology||Shenzhen Capital Group Co., Softbank China Venture Capital||Manufacturing|
|Huami Technology||Sequoia Capital China, Xiaomi Ventures, Shunwei Capital Partners||Manufacturing|
Want more data about top wearables companies? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity