To receive weekly dealflow data and news of high growth private companies, sign up for the free CB Insights newsletter.
Of all sectors receiving venture capital investment, the most diverse in terms of area of investment is undoubtedly the internet sector. CB Insights breaks down the internet sector into ecommerce and software and services, and within internet software & services, we define 50 further sub-industries to allow our subscribers a great deal of granularity to identify companies of interest. And even with our finely tuned slicing, we consistently see investment across all of these sub-industries from quarter to quarter.
But as we look back at the last four quarters (Q2 2009 to Q1 2010), we do observe that there are 4 sub-industries which command almost 40% of total internet software & services dollars, e.g. the Four Horsemen of Internet Software & Services.
- Advertising-related – Ad networks and exchanges + technologies to optimize online advertising spend.
- Social – Even with Facebook and Twitter’s prominence, a wide variety of investments in social companies continues.
- Gaming – Whether is simple online games or massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs)
- Information Providers – Structured information or UGC destinations around specific verticals a la Yelp, Angie’s List
To view and download data on the Four Horsemen of the Internet Software & Services sub-industry, logon to CB Insights.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity