With angel investment and venture capital to pure play iPhone and iPad startups jumping 220% from last year, we wanted to no only look at the amount of money flowing to these startups, but also the source of this funding. As detailed in the graphs below, almost 60% of the deals were led solely by VCs and 18% by angels. Interestingly, VCs and angels partnered in about 1/4 of the investments in pure play iPhone and iPad startups.
Not surprisingly, the amount of funding via angels was significantly less than that from venture capital firms or the collaborations between angels and VCs.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity