The CB Insights team likes data and so on occasion, we examine other credible, external data sources. We recently looked at Google Trends to see what it might suggest about what it suggests is happening with venture capital based on search volume trends. The results as you’ll see below are counter-intuitive.
Globally, news related to venture capital has increased while search volume for the term “venture capital” has seemingly decreased as can be seen below.
Of course, the methods that Google Trends uses to display and index this data are a bit opaque and so methodological reasons could drive this counter-intuitive trend. Or perhaps this is suggestive of a real decline in the interest in venture capital? What do you think?
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity