The reality is you can start a technology company anywhere today. But if you want to raise venture capital, it still pays to be in California, NY or Massachusetts.
When we look at the US VC landscape on a dollars basis, the skew towards the big 3 is even more significant. With the vast majority of unicorn companies (full unicorn list here) in these 3 markets (especially California) and their mega-financing rounds, this should not be all that surprising.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity