In the most recent quarter, funding from venture capital firms to gaming companies fell to a ten-quarter low, a stark contrast from investment levels one year ago. However, despite funding levels dropping off the cliff, deal activity increased to its second-highest level in the last ten quarters. Both deal volume and funding rocketed to ten-quarter highs in Q2 2011. Since that time, deals are down 11% and dollars are down 76%.
One of the most prominent gaming companies in recent history is Zynga, which falls under the social gaming category. In our next post on gaming, we will take a closer look at recent trends in social gaming and see how the sector is doing following Zynga’s IPO in December 2011.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity