To receive weekly dealflow data and news of high growth private companies, sign up for the free CB Insights newsletter.
Despite optimism and the promise of mobile software and services, venture capital investment in search remains heavily skewed in favor of internet search. A review of investment deal data in internet and mobile search over the period from 2005-2009 shows that at its highest, mobile search deals represent no more than 14% of the total number of search deals.
The trend over the 2005 to 2009 period can be seen below. If you believe Steve Jobs, investment in mobile search may never happen. In early April, Jobs commented:
On the desktop search is where it’s at; that’s where the money is. But on a mobile device search hasn’t happened. Search is not where it’s at, people are not searching on a mobile device like they do on the desktop.
So is increased venture capital investment in mobile search coming in the future or is Steve Jobs right?
To explore both internet and mobile search deals, logon to CB Insights.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity