Part 1 of our Venture Capital Human Capital report examined the race of individual founders and the racial composition of founding teams along with the age of founding teams and the number of founders per company. The entire downloadable report is available here.
Below are some statistics and graphs of our data related to race of founders and the racial composition of founding teams. This data is also broken down by state for California, Massachusetts and New York within the report.
Nationally, 87% of founders are white with over 12% Asian and less than 1% black.
Below is a breakdown of the racial composition of founding teams nationally along with median funding received by team. As can be seen, All White teams are predominant in terms of the share of total, but All Asian teams raised the largest median funding rounds.
Download the entire Venture Capital Human Capital Report which examines the race of individual founders, the racial composition of founding teams as well as the age & experience and the number of founders per company receiving venture capital.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity