Antennagate, opinions that Apple’s app approval process is arbitrary or assertions that Apple’s closed system will ultimately hinder innovation hasn’t done anything to dampen venture capitalist or angel investors’ enthusiasm for investing in the Apple ecosystem. In fact, based on CB Insights’ venture capital and angel investor database, investment in pure play iPhone and iPad startups has grown over 220% in the period from June 2009 to May 2010 vs. the prior period (June 2008 to May 2009).
Last year saw 11 investment rounds over 10 companies which raised a total of $37.69M. This year saw 17 investment rounds were distributed over 16 companies for a total venture capital and angel investment of $120.6M. Average funding rounds climbed to $7.5M in the most recent twelve months vs. $3.4M in the earlier twelve months.
The investment and funding trend can be seen in the graphs below. Interestingly, in a related analysis, we found that venture capitalists and angels are collaborating on about 1/4 of deals into the Apple ecosystem.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity