We’ve covered the upward trend of VC investment in multiple tech markets including the UK, Germany, and India. Most of those countries are poised for highs in VC participation in 2014. How is the United States, a more mature market for venture, faring?
The US is looking very good according to the data.
Through December 5th, more unique VCs have invested in US-based tech companies than in any of the previous five years. This should come as no surprise as the increasing number of billion dollar companies, as well as the increase of Micro-VCs and the rise of corporate VCs are all factors buoying the startup ecosystem in the US.
This includes US-based venture capital firms, corporate VC groups as well as foreign-based VCs investing in the US.
When looking at the breakdown of location for the VCs investing in US tech, the similarities with the other foreign markets ends. Unlike India (which has seen 41% local investor participation in 2014), the UK (47%), and Germany (45%), US tech is dominated by local investors, with 82% of all VCs investing in the ecosystem being based stateside. The high local investor participation rate is largely considered one of the key metrics in identifying mature tech ecosystems, and by all measures, the US is a worldwide leader in this regard.
To to track VC financing activity in the US and globally, login to the CB Insights venture capital database or create a free account below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity