Over the last six years, the unicorn company Dropbox, which was last valued in the private markets at $9.4B, has acquired over 20 other startups. Dropbox is the most active acquirer of startups out of the 185 companies in the global unicorn club as of 02/10/17. Rounding out the top five most active unicorns acquiring startups are: Pinterest, Snapdeal, Airbnb, and Snap Inc.
Using CB Insight’s database we tallied the number of startups that have been acquired by current unicorns since 2011. The five companies featured in this brief are the only current unicorns that have acquired ten or more startups over the time period.
Top Five Unicorn Acquirers
Dropbox has acquired eight more companies in the last six years than the next closest unicorn, Pinterest. Dropbox is the only unicorn to acquire more than 20 companies in the last six years. Snap Inc., the parent company of the social media app Snapchat, which recently filed for an early 2017 IPO, comes in fifth with 10 acquisitions.
We only included acquisitions by these five companies after they entered the global unicorn club. Airbnb, which became a unicorn in 2011, is the oldest unicorn among the five most active acquirers in the chart below while Snapdeal is the youngest unicorn.
Click on the image below to zoom.
Want more data on unicorn startups? Log in to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity