There are now 123 private company unicorns around the world, according to our real-time unicorn tracker. These $1B+ companies are collectively valued at $470B. Twenty-four of those companies reached their $1B+ valuation in Q2’15, one of the largest single-quarter increases in unicorns to date.
- United States: With 12 new unicorns in Q2’15, the US saw the most companies raise at a $1B+ valuation, including a couple of healthcare-related companies like NantHealth and Oscar Health Insurace Co. This was the second quarter in a row that the US beat Asia for new unicorns, after losing the top spot to Asia in Q4’14.
- Asia: The number of new Asian unicorns was particularly high, with 9 new ones entering the unicorn club in Q2’15, after their valuations were buoyed by several mega-financings across the continent. Tujia, Panshi, and One97 Communications are all newly minted Asian unicorns which raised $200M+ rounds this quarter.
- Europe: Though Europe hasn’t bred as many unicorns as the other geographies, the region saw 3 companies reach billion-dollar valuations, including two of Rocket Internet’s companies: Home24, and Global Fashion Group.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity