In May, Kleiner Perkins’ Internet Trends Report highlighted the top 20 market capitalizations of global public Internet companies, including the likes of Facebook, Google, and Netflix, which at the time totaled $2.5 trillion in aggregate. Here’s the original chart by Kleiner Perkins:
As of 10/9/2015, the aggregate valuation of those same public companies has dropped markedly to $1.76 trillion as eBay split from PayPal and Chinese e-commerce giants including Alibaba and Baidu have seen their stock prices plummet.
Over the same period, private valuations continue to climb for the expanding crop of billion-dollar “unicorn” companies. Using CB Insights valuation data, we looked at how top VC-backed unicorn startups with disclosed valuations would fit in Kleiner’s original May chart.
Notably, there are 7 VC-backed private Internet companies that currently have private valuations that would place them alongside the Internet giants back in May. That includes the combined $15B entity of China-based Meituan and Dianping, if the merger completes.
Uber would rank ahead of 11 of the public market Internet giants (and place 10th on the combined list), while Xiaomi would rank ahead of 9 of the public firms and rank 13th on the overall list. Note: Aerospace manufacturer SpaceX with a $12B valuation and data mining firm Palantir with a $20B valuation were not included in the chart below (aren’t internet companies).
Naver and Vipshop have been pushed off the top 10 in the combined list.
Want more tech valuation and exit data? Sign up free for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity