After the mid-2015 peak when as many as two dozen unicorns were birthed every three months, unicorn creation has fallen back to earth. This tracks overall investment trends for venture capital-backed private companies, for which funding and deals also retreated in the past two quarters.
Using CB Insights data to dig into unicorn trends, we found only 5 new VC-backed unicorns emerged in Q1’16, including Japan-based e-commerce marketplace Mercari and Chicago-based enterprise-collaboration platform Anaplan. Compare this pace to the peak of the unicorn frenzy in Q2’15 and Q3’15 when 24 and 25 new $1B+ companies were created, respectively.
In total, there are 166 unicorn companies globally, according to our real-time Unicorn Tracker (although this number includes companies without VC backers).
Feature image credit: tao lin, Flickr.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity