We crunched the data to analyze how quickly startups were joining the elite group of private companies worth $1B or more in Q3’15.
Venture-backed companies entering the unicorn club
In Q3’15 there were 23 venture-backed companies that joined the billion dollar unicorn club, tying a high set in the previous quarter. That means a new $1B+ company was added to the club every four days in the quarter (Q3’15 had 92 days).
This pace of quarterly growth in unicorns is a significant acceleration over the same quarter a year ago, when only 12 new unicorns joined the club. Some prominent companies to enter the club in Q3’15 include Avant, The Honest Company, and Buzzfeed.
New unicorns by continent
In Q3’15, North America produced the most unicorns, adding 17 of the 23 new companies added to the club.
Asia saw a spike in the previous quarter, Q2’15, adding 9 startups to the billion dollar club, but only added 3 unicorns in Q3’15.
Europe has stayed at a consistent pace, adding two to three unicorns per quarter. It’s worth noting that South America added it first unicorn, Decolar, to the club earlier this year.
Want more Unicorn data? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity