Q2'16 saw billion-dollar exits in 5 venture-backed tech companies including Twilio, NantHealth, and Sitecore.
Q2’16 marked the first time in over a year that there were more venture-backed unicorn tech exits than venture-backed tech unicorn births (i.e. were privately valued at $1B+ valuation), according to CB Insights data.
In fact, this is the first time it’s happened since we started tracking this trend in Q4’14, so it has not happened in at least six quarters.
As seen below, tech unicorn births peaked in Q3’15 with 23 venture-backed companies valued at a $1B+ valuation. Since then, that number has dropped to as low as 4 companies being valued at $1B+ valuation in Q2’16.
Conversely, Q2’16 saw 5 venture-backed unicorn tech exits. Some of the notable exits include Union Square Ventures-backed Twilio, Verizon-backed NantHealth, and Technology Crossover Ventures-backed Sitecore. Additionally, Q1’16 billion-dollar tech exit activity was up over Q1’15, and saw 2 billion dollar M&A exits in Cruise Automation and Jasper Technologies.
Want more Unicorn data? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity