We mapped out the top-funded tech startup in every European country, including unicorns like Sweden's Klarna and Spain's Cabify.
Europe is home to prominent startup and innovation hubs in cities like Berlin, Stockholm, and London. However, the tech boom is diffusing across the continent, and startups are emerging far beyond the established tech hotbeds.
Since 2012, nearly $55B has been invested across more than 7,200 equity deals to tech startups in the European continent.
This includes investment in leading tech companies such as online used car exchange Auto1 Group in Germany, online payment solutions provider Klarna in Sweden, and on-demand ride hailing company Cabify in Spain.
Using CB Insights data, we identified the most well-funded VC-backed tech startups in each country in Europe, based on disclosed equity funding. Collectively, the startups on our map have raised just over $8.5B in disclosed equity funding (as of 4/8/2019).
See the full infographic below, and the complete list of startups at the end of this post.
Our analysis excludes debt funding and only considers tech companies that have raised at least $1M of equity funding. Companies included have all raised funding since 2014. We exclude subsidiaries and majority-owned startups.
Please click to enlarge.
- The top-funded startup in Europe is global communications company OneWeb in the UK, with over $3B in total disclosed equity funding.
- Rounding out the top 3 most well-funded startups in the region are online used car exchange Auto1 Group in Germany ($600M in total disclosed funding), and cloud computing company Veeam Software in Switzerland ($500M).
- Seven of the 36 companies featured in our map are unicorns valued at $1B+ (all tracked in real time on the CB Insights global unicorn club tracker). These unicorns are: Auto1 Group ($3.5B, Germany), Klarna ($2.5B, Sweden), BlaBlaCar ($1.6B, France), Cabify ($1.4B, Spain), OutSystems ($1B, Portugal), Bolt ($1B, Estonia), BitFury Group ($1B, Netherlands).
- The region is home to 15 countries whose most well-funded tech startup has raised over $100M in funding. Only OneWeb has raised more than $1B+ in equity funding.
- The least well-funded startup on the map is Ukraine-based digital marketing company Clickky, which raised $2M in April 2015.
- Since our last update of this map in September 2016, 6 startups have exited: Adyen, Avast Software, CCP Games, CloudPayments, Delivery Hero, and Spotify.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
|Company||Total Equity Funding ($M)||Country|
|Blink Ledger Systems||5.0||Romania|
|Mediarex Sports & Entertainment||4.9||Malta|
|Minit||3.7||Slovakia (Slovak Republic)|
|Content Insights||3.6||Serbia, Republic of|