We mapped out the top-funded tech startup in every European country, including unicorns like Sweden's Klarna and Spain's Cabify.
Europe is home to prominent startup and innovation hubs in cities like Berlin, Stockholm, and London. However, the tech boom is diffusing across the continent, and startups are emerging far beyond the established tech hotbeds.
Since 2014, nearly $90B has been invested across more than 18,000 equity deals to tech startups on the European continent.
This includes investments into leading tech companies such as cloud computing startup Veeam Software in Switzerland, app development tool OutSystems in Portugal, and on-demand ride hailing platforms like BlaBlaCar in France and Cabify in Spain.
Using CB Insights data, we identified the most well-funded VC-backed tech startup in each country in Europe. Collectively, the startups on our map have raised nearly $9B in disclosed equity funding (as of 10/8/2019).
See the full infographic below, and the complete list of startups at the end of this post.
Our analysis excludes debt funding and only considers tech companies that have raised at least $1M of equity funding. Companies included have all raised funding since 2014. We exclude subsidiaries and majority-owned startups.
Please click to enlarge.
- The top-funded startup in Europe is global communications company OneWeb in the UK, with almost $3.5B in total disclosed equity funding.
- Rounding out the top 3 most well-funded startups in the region are online payments service provider Klarna in Sweden ($922M in disclosed equity funding) and mobile banking platform N26 in Germany ($683M).
- Seven of the 36 companies featured in our map are unicorns, with disclosed valuations of $1B+ (all tracked in real time on the CB Insights global unicorn club tracker). These unicorns are: Klarna ($5.5B valuation, Sweden), N26 ($3.5B, Germany), BlaBlaCar ($1.6B, France), Cabify ($1.4B, Spain), OutSystems ($1B, Portugal), Bolt ($1B, Estonia), BitFury Group ($1B, Netherlands).
- The region is home to 15 countries whose most well-funded tech startup has raised over $100M in equity funding. Only OneWeb has raised more than $1B+ in equity funding.
- The least well-funded startup on the map is Croatia-based autonomous robots startup Gideon Brothers, which has raised $2.7M.
- Since our last update of this map in April, only 1 startup has exited: Russia-based Ozon.ru, which was acquired in a corporate majority round by Moscow-based holding company Sistema.
|Company||Country||Total Equity Funding ($M)|
|Mews Systems||Czech Republic||42|
|Blink Ledger Systems||Romania||5|
|Minit||Slovakia (Slovak Republic)||3.7|
|Content Insights||Serbia, Republic of||3.6|