Our graphic highlights the top-funded tech startup in every European country, including unicorns like Sweden's Klarna and Germany's N26.
Europe is home to prominent startup and innovation hubs across cities like Berlin, Stockholm, London, and more. But the tech boom is diffusing across the continent — and startups are emerging far beyond the established tech hotbeds.
Since 2015, nearly $130B has been invested across more than 23,600 equity deals to tech startups on the European continent.
This includes investments into leading tech companies such as delivery marketplace Glovo in Spain, music streaming platform Deezer in France, and transportation and ride-hailing network Bolt in Estonia.
Using CB Insights data, we identified the most well-funded VC-backed tech startup in each country in Europe. Collectively, the startups on our map have raised more than $13B in disclosed equity funding.
See the full infographic below, and the complete list of startups at the end of this post.
Our analysis ranks companies based on total disclosed equity funding and only considers VC-backed tech companies that have raised an equity round since 2016. Companies must have raised a minimum of $1M in equity funding.
Please click to enlarge.
- The top-funded startup in Europe is the United Kingdom’s broadband satellite company OneWeb, with nearly $3.9B in disclosed equity funding.
- Rounding out the top 3 most well-funded startups in the region are Sweden-based Klarna ($2.8B in disclosed equity funding), which offers a “buy now, pay later” solution, and challenger bank N26 in Germany ($822M).
- Nine of the 37 companies featured in our map are unicorns with disclosed valuations of $1B+ (all tracked in real time on the CB Insights global unicorn club tracker). These unicorns are: Klarna ($31B valuation, Sweden), Bolt ($4.3B, Estonia), N26 ($3.5B, Germany), Collibra ($2.4B, Belgium), Deezer ($1.4B, France), Vinted ($1.1B, Lithuania), Nexthink ($1.1B, Switzerland), and Glovo ($1B, Spain).
- The region is home to 18 countries whose most well-funded tech startup has raised over $100M in equity funding. Only OneWeb and Klarna have raised more than $1B in equity funding.
- The least well-funded startup on the map is Croatia-based Gideon Brothers which has raised $5.7M in seed and angel funding.
- Since our last update of this map in December 2020, two featured startups have pursued exits: UK-based Deliveroo has filed to go public, and Germany-based Auto1 Group IPOed in February.
|Company||Country||Total Equity Funding ($M)|
|Minit||Slovakia (Slovak Republic)||11|
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity