We analyzed data gathered using CB Insights' machine learning algorithms to determine the best corporate venture capital firms from around the world.
For the past four years, we’ve ranked the most active CVCs, based on investment activity.
This year, we’ve also assembled a list of the world’s top 20 corporate venture capital (CVC) firms, as part of our annual partnership with the New York Times, ranking the Top 100 Venture Capital Partners from around the globe.
Our methodology for this CVC ranking is similar to that of our VC partner ranking. Below are the factors considered in ranking our list of top corporate venture capital firms:
- CVC Firm Exits – the frequency/volume, size, and stage of investment entry.
- Illiquid Portfolio Company Value – frequency, size, and stage of investment entry in high value — but un-exited — companies (given less weight due to illiquidity).
- Recency of Performance – focus on metrics since 2009. This is a ranking of today’s best CVCs — not the best CVCs in history.
According to our recent Global CVC report, over 180 new corporate venture capital firms invested in 2017 — representing 66% growth over 2016.
In addition, the total amount of capital invested by all CVCs (both old and new) increased to record highs. In 2017, these firms invested over $31B in private market funding across 1791 disclosed equity deals.
Google Ventures was the most active corporate venture capital investor in 2017, followed by Intel Capital and Qualcomm Ventures in second and third place, respectively.
Among the top 20 CVCs are Asia-based investors Samsung Ventures, Bertelsmann Asia Investments, and Mitsui & Co. Global Investment.
Healthcare investors Novartis Venture Fund, Johnson & Johnson Innovation, SR One, Alexandria Venture Investments, Roche Venture Fund, Pfizer Venture Investments, and Novo Ventures are also featured.
Below is our comprehensive list of the Top 20 Corporate Venture Capital Firms. Scroll down for our Selection Methodology:
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity