Every month, tens of thousands of new apps enter various app stores. And so achieving – let alone identifying – sustained upward momentum in the App Store ranks can be an arduous task.
Using algorithms, CB Insights is analyzing data across millions of apps in the App Store continuously to alert us when an app shows a significant upward or downward momentum. This week, we observed significant rank improvement by Timehop, which offers an app that pulls status updates from a year or more ago from your iPhone, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Foursquare.
New York-based Timehop has been around since 2010. But over the past several months, the app has witnessed a significant ascent in the App Store ‘Overall’ rankings, vaulting as high as the top 40 in the overall App Store rankings as of May 9th. The app is backed by just over $4M from investors including Spark Capital, O’Reilly AlphaTech Ventures and various angels and received $3M in Series A financing last July.
Below is the App Store rank chart for Timehop over the last six months. The jump is eye-popping. Note: This visualization was taken directly from the company’s ‘Performance’ tab, available to CB Insights subscribers in the Division or greater plans.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity