In the last year, the Top 30 Most Active Venture Capital Firms participated in 25% of deals from 2009-2010, which amounted to nearly $9 billion in funding. Given that level of influence and activity, we’ve been following their dollars and have looked at their investments in both the healthcare and the internet sectors.
We now turn our attention to the top 30 venture capital firms’ investments in the greentech and cleantech arena.
As might be expected given their typically larger funding round sizes, greentech companies saw 21% of the most active venture capital firms’ funding this past year. The cleantech arena, however, accounted for only 10% of the top 30 VC’s deals.
Within greentech, early stage funding deals represented only about 1/5th of total deals. Series B funding deals dominated among the Top 30, representing 41% of deals. This was followed by Series C (27%) and then by Series A (19%). Seed venture capital rounds in green companies accounted for only 1.6% of the deals from the top 30 venture capitalists.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity