Some of the biggest tech corporations in Asia have stepped up their investment and acquisition games recently. Tencent, Alibaba, and Rakuten invested more in 2013 than in any of the prior 5 years. After the first half of 2014, both Tencent (investor in Jingdong) and Alibaba (Lyft) are on pace for another record year, while Rakuten is on pace to match their 2013 total.
On the acquisition front all three firms are on pace for multi-year highs in 2014 as well. Tencent finished off the first half of the year with acquisitions of Dianping as well as Linktech Navigation. Meanwhile Alibaba closed 4 acquisitions in H1 2014, while Rakuten trailed with 3, most notably a February 2014 acquisition of messaging company Viber.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity