We published our 2012 Tech M&A Report last week highlighting trends among the 2277 private tech companies acquired in 2012. To give this number some additional context, we wanted to compare the 2012 tech M&A activity was 2011.
The chart below provides a two year quarterly view of tech M&A transactions and saw 1895 private tech companies acquired in 2011 meaing that 2012 saw 20.2% growth in acquisition activity. As we highlighted in the report, 2013 could be an even bigger year with the cash hordes held by tech’s largest players and as we see non-tech companies acquiring technology companies given the infiltration of tech into non-tech industries as well (yes the whole “software is eating the world” thing).
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity