After our recent Series A Crunch – Seed Investing Report highlighted that between 1100-1400 startups might hit a funding wall and die or be be orphaned, the question we got repeatedly from M&A groups trying to do talent acquisitions, companies trying to find talent at dying companies or from VCs trying to help portfolios companies recruit talent was how do we identify those companies which may be on the ropes. Yes, the tech talent crunch appears to be very real given the frequency of questions we got about doing this.
Below is a search you can run on CB Insights to try to identify companies that maybe out of or near the end of their runway. As you can see below, you can also refine this list further by looking in particular industries (mobile, internet, payments, etc) and also refine the location/geograpy filter down to individual cities. Login to your CB Insights account here to run the search and identify companies that might be flatlining and whose talent might be amenable to employment overtures.
We also have a list of dying tech companies which may be of interest.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity