As the creation of new private unicorn companies valued at $1B or more has slowed down, the frequency of $100M rounds into VC-backed tech companies has also fallen off its peak pace.
So far, there have been 45 deals of above $100M each in 2016. That puts this year on track to beat the result in 2014 (which saw just over 100 mega-rounds). But that would still be roughly a 30% year-over-year drop compared to the 2015 peak.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity