The technologies that leading private companies are using (aka their Tech Stack) are now available on their CB Insights profiles. With the addition of this tech stack data on programming languages, frameworks, and databases powering startups across the tech ecosystem, we wanted analyze what technologies are being used by today’s most valuable startups.
Specifically, we analyzed the tech stacks of private venture-backed companies with valuations at or over $1 billion.
Here’s the data.
Git Leads Frameworks/Libraries
SQL Trumps NoSQL (Not Surprisingly)
SQL databases dominated the top 10 with MySQL, Oracle, and PostgreSQL all making their way onto the list. Big data-related databases such as Hive, Hbase, Cassandra, and Vertica also were among the most commonly used, driven by the tech stacks of Big Data-focused companies such as Cloudera and Hortonworks. Notably, of the top 10, all but 2 of the databases were open-source (Vertica and Oracle were not), pointing to the overwhelming usage of open-source technology in today’s tech companies.
We will continue to monitor the tech stack data as it pertains to the billion-dollar club, and if you’d like to to stay abreast of additional tech stack analysis, sign up for our newsletter. Subscribers with access to CB Insights on the Division plan can check out the “Tech Stack” tab on company profiles for information ranging from programming languages to operating systems to software applications used by today’s high-growth private technology companies.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity