11 different sub-industries saw ten or more VC-backed tech M&A and IPO transactions in 2013. eCommerce and ad, sales and marketing tech notched the highest share of tech exits for venture investors last year.
Last year saw over 450 venture-backed tech companies exit via acquisition or public offering. Using CB Insights exit data, we wanted to highlight which sub-industries within the Internet and mobile sectors saw the highest share of venture-backed tech M&A or IPO exits in 2013?
There were 11 different sub-industries within Internet and mobile software & services that notched 10 or more venture-backed M&A or IPO transactions last year. And as the chart below highlights, eCommerce firms saw the highest amount of venture-backed exit activity, followed by advertising, sales & marketing tech. While these two tech markets saw exits that were large (Zulily and Criteo, for example) and small in 2013, both sub-industries currently count the highest number of companies on the Tech IPO Pipeline and so are well positioned for additional high-profile wins in 2014.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity