From local delivery to on-demand shipping and heavy freight, startups are pinpointing a range of services traditionally associated with logistics giants like FedEx.
Over the past few years, a diverse group of startups have cropped up within the shipping and logistics industry, applying technology and new on-demand economy concepts to lower costs, increase flexibility, and streamline operations. Many of these new entrants are pinpointing services traditionally delivered by industry giants such as FedEx and UPS.
On-demand names such as Uber and Postmates are widely known and have attracted impressive amounts of funding. Though the on-demand boom has cooled somewhat, many of these startups continue to provide local delivery and last-mile courier services.
Also in the mix are companies targeting larger freight services, both within LTL/FTL (less-than-truckload/full-truckload) trucking as well as international shipping and freight-forwarding operations. These include startups providing rate comparison and freight analytics, as well as technology-driven marketplaces to connect shippers and carriers.
Using CB Insights data, we updated our infographic detailing US companies in shipping and logistics services, adding 14 new companies and removing companies that had been acquired (Zipments) or shut down (such as Shipster). See the image below.
Click on the graphic to enlarge.
*Click here for the previous version of this infographic.
See some of our prior unbundling posts here:
- Attacking The Grocery Shelves: 93 Food & Beverage Startups In One Infographic
- Unbundling the Hotel: The 62 Startups Marriott and Hilton Should Be Watching
- Disrupting European Banking: The FinTech Startups That Are Unbundling HSBC, Santander, and BNP
- Disrupting Banking: The Fintech Startups That Are Unbundling Wells Fargo, Citi and Bank of America
- Disrupting The Auto Industry: These Are The Startups Unbundling The Car
- Disrupting Procter & Gamble: Private Companies Unbundling P&G and the Consumer Packaged Goods Industry
- From DogBnBs To Subscription Dog Treats: The Tech Startups Unbundling PetSmart
Looking for more data on transportation and logistics? Sign up for CB Insights tech market intelligence platform free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity