The list of global venture-backed startups valued at $1 billion or higher has grown to over 60 firms in 2014. And as more companies notch 10-figure valuations (or in some cases 11-figures) in the private markets, CB Insights is algorithmically tracking valuations as well as revenue multiples. Our valuation and revenue data includes real and rumored figures and as those of you who deal with private companies know, this data is very hard to find. We are crawling 150,000+ sources to get this data and extracting structured data from these sources using machine learning technology we’ve built that is not too dissimilar from how we gather our financing and exit data.
As the revenue multiple data shows, the range of price to revenue multiples for billion-dollar startups is very varied going from as low as 1.9x to as high as 79.8x. Perhaps not surprising given the range of business models and industries the billion-dollar startups operate in – from eCommerce to payments processing to SaaS and lending.
The screenshot below highlights the price to sales (revenue) multiples of startup valued at a billion dollars or more using our private company valuation multiples tool on CB Insights.
Want more private company valuation and valuation multiple data? Sign up for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity