Collectively, US unicorns are worth approximately $372B. Combined, these companies have raised just over $67B.
The United States is home to 98 unicorn companies that are each valued at $1B+. As of 12/19/2016, nine private US companies are worth over $10B. The three most valuable unicorns in the US are Uber ($68B), Airbnb ($30B), and Palantir Technologies ($20B), and all of them are located in California, the state with by far-and-away the most unicorns. Ten other US states are also home to at least one company worth $1B+. Rounding out the top three are New York and Massachusetts.
Using the CB Insights database and our real-time global unicorn tracker we visualized the locations of every US-based unicorn in the map below.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
Key insights about the companies in this map:
- Collectively, US unicorns are worth approximately $372B.
- Combined, these companies have raised just over $67B.
- After California, New York, and Massachusetts, Illinois ranks fourth and Utah and Florida tie for fifth in terms of number of unicorns.
- The top five most well-funded US unicorns are: Uber ($12.5B raised), Airbnb ($3.9B), Infor ($2.6B), Snap ($2.6B), and Palantir Technologies ($1.9B). Infor is the only unicorn out of the top 5 based outside California; it is located in New York.
- The oldest unicorn in the US is the greentech company Bloom Energy, which reached a valuation above $1B in 2009.
- The newest unicorn in the US is the travel tech company JetSmarter, which became a unicorn in December 2016.
- The three most active investors in US-based unicorns, by total number of deals to these companies, are the VC firms Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Khosla Ventures.
Want more data on high-momentum startups? Log in to CB Insights or sign up for free below.