a16z is the most active smart money VC investor in private cybersecurity companies.
Smart money VCs are on pace to participate in fewer cybersecurity deals through the end of this year, compared to 2015. This year, through Q2’16, the top two dozen smart money VCs participated in nearly 30 cybersecurity funding rounds — deals that totaled $657M in aggregate.
By year-end, 2016 is on track to see roughly 50 cybersecurity deals with smart money VCs involved, deals that together are projected to account for nearly $1.2B in funding. Last year we saw these VCs involved in 56 deals worth nearly $2B.
Interest from smart money VCs is buoyed by the fact that five out of the nine private company unicorns in cybersecurity reached their $1B+ valuations last year. Cylance, an artificial intelligence and machine learning cybersecurity company, secured a $100M series D investment in June 2016 and emerged as the newest cybersecurity unicorn. Smart money VC Khosla Ventures, was also involved in that round, after also participating in the company’s Series A and B rounds.
For more on how we selected our 24 smart money VCs, please see the explanation and full smart money list at the bottom of this post.
Deals that include smart money VCs rose through 2014, topping out at nearly 60, and started to slip slightly in 2015, at 56. Deals for the present year through Q2’16 were at 29 and on an annual basis are projected to fall under last year’s total.
From 2012 through the end of last year, there was a significant run-up in the amount of funding dollars to cybersecurity coming from deals that involved smart money VCs. This year, with the current run-rate through Q2’16, dollars and deals involving smart money VCs are projected to fall just below last year’s peak.
Note: To analyze smart money trends, we looked at the activity of 24 top VC firms, selected according to portfolio valuations and investment outcomes. Some of the investors are linked to relevant research briefs. Here’s our full list of 24 smart money investors:
- Sequoia Capital
- Benchmark Capital
- Accel Partners
- Greylock Partners
- Andreessen Horowitz
- Union Square Ventures
- First Round Capital
- Bessemer Venture Partners
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- New Enterprise Associates
- Founders Fund
- Lightspeed Venture Partners
- Foundry Group
- Index Ventures
- Khosla Ventures
- Social Capital
- Emergence Capital Partners
- True Ventures
- Floodgate Fund
- General Catalyst Partners
- Spark Capital
- Battery Ventures
- Redpoint Ventures
Want more data on investment and exit trends in the industrial IoT, including startups in advanced manufacturing, 3D printing, and industrial robotics? Sign up for our syndicated research on IIoT. Syndicated research on IIoT includes, quarterly:
- Fundraising trends
- Top “smart money” VC investments in the category
- Competitor tearsheets: key competitors’ investments, acquisitions, patents
- Timeline of M&A activity
- Startup landscape and companies to watch
- Exclusive webinar briefings by CB Insights senior analyst
Syndicated research also includes monthly updates on notable fundings and competitor moves. Learn more today.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity