Smart home companies on our map are working across energy & utilities, smart locks, cybersecurity, health & wellness, and more.
As technology becomes further integrated into our everyday lives, smart home startups are creating a range of products and services aimed at making our homes safer, more efficient, and more connected than ever before.
We used the CB Insights database to identify 60+ private companies in smart home technologies and mapped them according to 13 main categories in which they operate.
Our smart home category includes companies producing consumer-facing products that replace or augment existing home products such as appliances, with the requirement that they be connected to a smartphone or the internet, or integrate sensors and digital interfaces.
Click on the image to enlarge. Market map is not meant to be exhaustive of companies in the space. Companies are categorized according to primary use case.
The breakdown is as follows:
- Energy & Utilities: These are companies that utilize sensors, monitoring tech, and data to conserve water and energy. This includes companies such as Tado, which created a product that automatically detects a user’s proximity to the residence and adjusts the temperature accordingly, with added control from their smartphone app.
- Smart Locks: Startups such as August provide alternative solutions to traditional keys with virtual keys and other electronic locks. A number of these companies’ products also allow users to see and speak with visitors remotely.
- General Smart Home Solutions: Instead of producing a single smart gadget, these companies build or distribute multi-device systems that automate several parts of your home, such as Netatmo‘s security, weather, air care, and energy solutions and monitoring or IOTAS‘s smart apartments.
- Kitchen & Home Appliance: These include household products that function as a conventional appliance or device, yet offer advantages through connectivity, such as Innit, which is currently developing a cooking system built on machine learning and high tech sensors that can detect what is being made and adjust heating and cooking time appropriately throughout the process.
- Home Robots: This category is home to companies that produce robots specifically for maintenance and assistance in a home environment. These include social robotic assistant Jibo, and Rokid, a smart home device that use AI and deep learning to deliver information and perform tasks via voice and visual interactions.
- Monitoring & Security: These are companies that offer indoor or outdoor security and monitoring through installed cameras to keep an eye on homes, kids, the elderly, and pets. Companies in the space include Smartfrog and Ring.
- Wi-Fi & Cybersecurity: These startups provide Wi-Fi and cybersecurity solutions to connect and protect smart devices within the home. CUJO, a smart firewall that protects a user’s connected home from criminal hackers, just raised $8.5M in funding this past month, and Eero and Starry, two more companies offering home Wi-Fi systems, raised $50M and $30M, respectively, in Series B in the past year.
- Health & Wellness: These are products that assist home occupants in maintaining their health and lifestyle, such as Sleepace, a non-wearable smart device that can monitor and help improve sleep quality, or Awair, which detects airborne and environmental irritants.
- Alarm Systems: These companies provide traditional alarm systems equipped with advanced monitors and sensors to detect fire, floods, or other property damage and help protect your home. One company, Cocoon Labs, has developed a smart home security device that utilizes low level sound waves to detect and alert the homeowner of any disturbances within the home.
- Audio & Media: These companies provide media solutions that range from a hanging computer to display decorative art (Electric Objects) to whole-home wireless music systems (Sonos).
- Platforms: Companies in this category do not produce their own consumer products but help others integrate AI and connectivity into their own smart home products. One example here would be Arrayent, which helps major consumer brands transform traditional products into connected devices.
- Lighting: These companies provide home lighting solutions such as smart switches (Deako) and smart bulbs (LIFX).
- Miscellaneous: Startups in this category have particularly unique offerings, such as Uzer, a company that developed a smart home barcode scanner that makes recycling more fun and efficient, or Nucleus, an internet-connected intercom system that helps people communicate with others on the same system.
See the full company list below:
|Tado||Shortcut Ventures, Target Partners||Energy & Utilities|
|Rachio||Amazon Alexa Fund||Energy & Utilities|
|Flo Technologies||MetaProp, Crosslink Capital, Plug and Play Venture||Energy & Utilities|
|Sense Labs||Bolt Innovation Group, CRV, Prelude Ventures, Shell Technology Ventures||Energy & Utilities|
|Radiator Labs||MetaProp, MIT Clean Energy Prize||Energy & Utilities|
|Cielowigle||Undisclosed Investors||Energy & Utilities|
|Ecobee||Amazon Alexa Fund||Energy & Utilities|
|ecoVent Systems||Blue Fog Capital, Emerson Electric and Tamarisc||Energy & Utilities|
|Heatworks Technologies||Wave Equity Partners, Kickstarter||Energy & Utilities|
|August Home||Bessemer Venture Partners, Comcast Ventures, Qualcomm Ventures||Smart Locks|
|Nuki||Aquis Sanitar, Austria Wirtschaftsservice, Up to Eleven, Venta Group||Smart Locks|
|Latch||3rd Prime Capital, Camber Creek, Corigin Ventures, Expansion VC, Lux Capital, Primary Venture Partners, Publishers Clearing House||Smart Locks|
|Unikey||Samsung, Kevin O’Leary, Mark Cuban||Smart Locks|
|Nexkey||K9 Ventures, Upfront Ventures||Smart Locks|
|Glue||Kaj Head, MOOR, Peter Carlsson||Smart Locks|
|Akerun||Beta Catalyst, GaiaX Global Marketing Ventures, JAFCO Asia, YJ Capital||Smart Locks|
|Netatmo||C4 Ventures, FSN PME, Iris Capital||General Smart Home Solutions|
|IOTAS||Oregon Angel Fund, Rogue Venture Partners, Oregon BEST||General Smart Home Solutions|
|Broadlink||China Merchants Technology Holdings||General Smart Home Solutions|
|LifeSmart||Qingdao Haier SAIF Investment Management Company||General Smart Home Solutions|
|WigWag||Hone Capital, Kickstarter||General Smart Home Solutions|
|Orvibo||Legend Capital, MediaTek Ventures||General Smart Home Solutions|
|Sevenhugs||Business Angels des Grandes Ecoles, CapDecisif Management, Femmes Business Angels, Investessor, Kickstarter||General Smart Home Solutions|
|Innit||Undisclosed Investors||Kitchen & Home Appliances|
|Kuvee||Bolt Innovation Group, Founder Collective, General Catalyst||Kitchen & Home Appliances|
|June||First Round Capital, Foundry Group, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Slow Ventures||Kitchen & Home Appliances|
|Petnet||Bolt Innovation Group, SparkLabs Global Ventures, Amazon Alexa Fund, PETCO Animal Supplies||Kitchen & Home Appliances|
|Juicero||Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers||Kitchen & Home Appliances|
|Jibo||CRV, Fairhaven Capital and Osage University Partners||Home Robots|
|Rokid||Advantech Capital Partners, IDG Capital, Walden International, Linear Ventures||Home Robots|
|Turing Robot||Alpha Animation & Culture||Home Robots|
|Olly||Alliance Capital Ventures, Lightning Capital||Home Robots|
|Unibo||Fujitsu Corporate Venture Capital, Nikon, Sumitomo||Home Robots|
|Smartfrog||e.ventures, Jean-Pierre Wyss, Target Partners||Monitoring & Security|
|Ring||Goldman Sachs, Qualcomm Ventures, True Ventures||Monitoring & Security|
|Fenotek||BPI France, iSource Gestion, P.Factory and Provence Business Angels||Monitoring & Security|
|Canary Connect||Khosla Ventures, Two Sigma Ventures||Monitoring & Security|
|Eero||First Round Capital, Index Ventures, Menlo Ventures, Redpoint Ventures||Wi-Fi & Cybersecurity|
|Starry||FirstMark Capital, IAC, Tiger Global Management||Wi-Fi & Cybersecurity|
|Luma Home||Andreessen Horowitz, Google Ventures, Accel Partners, Amazon Alexa Fund||Wi-Fi & Cybersecurity|
|Cujo||Yehuda Neuberger||Wi-Fi & Cybersecurity|
|Sleepace||Ximalaya FM, Xingwang Investment Management, Luolai Textile Co.||Health & Wellness|
|Eight||Comcast Ventures, Y Combinator||Health & Wellness|
|Awair||Altos Ventures, Samsung Ventures||Health & Wellness|
|Evermind||Tristar Technology Ventures||Health & Wellness|
|Audio Analytic||Cambridge Angels, Cambridge Innovation Capital, IQ Capital Partners||Alarm Systems|
|Cocoon Labs||Indiegogo, Breed Reply||Alarm Systems|
|Leeo||E.ON Venture Partners, Formation 8, Max Levchin, Scott Banister, Visionnaire Ventures||Alarm Systems|
|Sonos||Elevation Partners, Index Ventures, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., Redpoint Ventures||Audio & Media|
|Kamarq||Energy & Environment Investment, iSG Investment Works, Saison Ventures||Audio & Media|
|Electric Objects||Bessemer Venture Partners, Kickstarter||Audio & Media|
|Independa||City Hill Ventures Miramar Venture Partners, LG Electronics||Audio & Media|
|Arrayent||Comerica Bank, DCM Ventures, Intel Capital, Opus Capital, ORIX Growth Capital||Platforms|
|Atooma||LVenture Group, UniCredit Start Lab||Platforms|
|Seebo||Carmel Ventures, TPY Capital||Platforms|
|Deako||Promus Ventures, Tandem Capital, Y Combinator||Lighting|
|LIFX||Bevan Clark, Blackbird Ventures, Guy King, Sequoia Capital, Qualcomm Ventures||Lighting|
|Nucleus||Amazon Alexa Fund||Miscellaneous|
|pHin||Lonza Group, Playground Ventures, Tandem Capital||Miscellaneous|
Want more data on smart home startups? Check out our private market database below.If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.