Earlier this week, one of our mobile app alert algorithms tracked a huge jump in the App Store rankings by Wunderlist, a to-do list app with the ability to share and collaborate on lists across parties and devices.
On August 1st, Wunderlist announced an update including faster real-time sync as well as the ability to publish and curate public lists. And along with the app update came a significant rankings jump in the ‘Productivity’ category where it was previously trending between 40-60 and then jumped to the top 5-ranked apps.
Wunderlist is published by 6Wunderkinder, a venture-backed German startup that last raised a notable $19M Series B investment led by Sequoia Capital. And based on CB Insights venture capital and mobile app data, Wunderlist’s big jump now makes it one of three top 20-ranked ‘Productivity’ apps backed by Sequoia Capital (as of Aug. 4). The others being Dropbox and Evernote.
Sequoia, of course, isn’t new to investing in highly-ranked mobile apps given the venture firm was the sole backer of WhatsApp prior to its $19B exit and stood at the top of our earlier analysis looking at VC investors by apps consistently ranked in the top 1000 overall ranking.
Track deal information based on App Store category and rank in the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. Sign up free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity