With continued funding from normally public markets-focused investors like mutual funds and hedge funds, $100M+ equity financings to VC-backed companies have reached record numbers.
Thus far in 2015 there have been over 170 mega-rounds sized $100M+, with Q3’15 seeing a combined 68 financings, 7 more than in the previous quarter. Asia topped 20 mega-rounds for the second-straight quarter behind large financings to Didi Kuaidi, LY.com, and Ele.me, among others.
Overall the mega-rounds in Q3’15 raised over $19B cumulatively, or more than half the total $37B amount raised by VC-backed companies globally in the quarter.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity