Spanning wealth management, savings, lending, payments, remittances and more, fintech funding and deals hit a new record high in 2015, according to the inaugural KPMG and CB Insights Pulse of Fintech report. And a large reason why was the spike in mega-round activity across continents.
As the chart below highlights, North America and Asia saw a significant rise in fintech mega-rounds ($50M+) in 2015. After taking fewer than 10 $50M+ deals cumulatively between 2011 and 2014, Asia saw 17 $50M+ deals to venture-backed fintech startups. North America saw close to 40 $50M+ deals in 2015, after taking 29 in 2014.
Among the largest 2015 mega-rounds in North America were those to marketplace lenders SoFi‘s $1.15B Series E from investors including Softbank and RenRen, along with Avant‘s $325M led by General Atlantic, as well as payments automation firm AvidXchange‘s $225M growth round.
Looking for more fintech data and analytics? Sign up for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity