It was a record year for global & US venture funding, exits, unicorns, and more.
Global venture deals and dollars reached record highs in 2021. Funding more than doubled year-over-year as startup investment soared across sectors and geographies.
In our State Of Venture 2021 Report, we dig into global investment trends to spotlight takeaways like:
- The record unicorn count, unicorn birth trends, and the highest-valued unicorns to close out the year
- The data behind the biggest year in global funding, up 111% year-over-year
- Which region raised the most venture dollars in 2021, and which saw the most deals
- How 2021’s M&A, IPO, and SPAC exits compare to previous years
- Which investors backed 300+ companies in 2021
- The sector accounting for $1 in every $5 of global venture funding
- The 5+ US metro areas with record-high funding quarters in Q4
- And much more
Below, check out a few highlights from our 273-page, data-driven State Of Venture 2021 Report. For deeper insights, all the record figures, and a boatload of private market data, download the full report.
Get the Excel file with all the underlying data found in this report
UNICORN HERD NEARS 1,000 AT THE END OF 2021
See the most valuable companies to join the global unicorn club in Q4’21 and which startups have the highest valuations worldwide.
GLOBAL FUNDING JUMPS 111% YOY TO SHATTER PREVIOUS RECORD
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity