PwC and CB Insights' Q4 2020 MoneyTree report highlights the latest trends in venture capital funding globally.
2020 INVESTMENTS HIT NEW ANNUAL RECORD DESPITE THE PANDEMIC
US-based, VC-backed companies raise nearly $130B in 2020, up 14% year-over-year (YoY) from 2019, despite the impacts of Covid-19 around the world.
However, annual deal activity is down YoY, falling to 6,022 deals, a 9% decline from 6,599 in 2019.
NUMBER OF MEGA-ROUNDS HITS NEW RECORD IN 2020
The number of quarterly mega-rounds hits a new high for the third consecutive quarter as 99 US-based companies raise rounds of $100M+ in Q4’20, bringing the total number of mega-rounds for 2020 to 318.
NEARLY HALF OF TOTAL FUNDING COMES FROM MEGA-ROUNDS IN 2020
Mega-round deal share is roughly half of total funding in 2020 at 49%, up from 44% in 2019.
Access previous Venture Capital Funding Reports:
- MoneyTree Report Q3 2020
- MoneyTree Report Q2 2020
- MoneyTree Report Q1 2020
- MoneyTree Report Q4 2019
- MoneyTree Report Q3 2019
- MoneyTree Report Q2 2019
- MoneyTree Report Q1 2019
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity