PwC and CB Insights' Q3 2018 MoneyTree report highlights the latest trends in venture capital funding globally.
US FUNDING INCREASES, DEAL ACTIVITY DECLINES, IN Q3’18
Dollars were up 17% in Q3’18 as $27.5B was invested across 1,229 deals. Deal activity declined for the first time since Q4’17.
GLOBAL FUNDING INCREASED SLIGHTLY IN Q3’18, WITH DEALS DECLINING
Global funding ticked up 2% to $53B. Deals declined compared to Q2, reflecting fewer, bigger deals in the US.
NORTH AMERICA AND ASIA DOMINATE IN THE NUMBER OF NEW UNICORNS
North America and Asia both saw large increases in the number of private companies newly valued at $1B+. The rise of new unicorns comes amidst a 27% decline in US tech IPOs in Q3’18.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity