PricewaterhouseCoopers and CB Insights' Q1 2017 MoneyTree report highlights the latest trends in venture capital funding globally.
To see the most recent MoneyTree Report, click here: Q1 2018
INVESTMENT CONTINUES AT MODERATED PACE
US VC-backed companies saw $13.9B in total financing across 1,104 deals in Q1’17, up 15% and 2% from Q4’16, respectively. Despite the uptick, both deal and dollar levels remain well below the peak levels of 2015.
CORPORATE PARTICIPATION REMAINS STRONG
Corporates and corporate VCs have remained active, participating in 26% of all US deals in Q1’17, matching Q3’16 for an 8-quarter high.
AI OFF TO STRONG START IN 2017
AI deals continued rising to an 8-quarter high, as quarterly funding has now topped $500M in 7 of the past 8 quarters. Digital Health deal activity slid 23%, although one $900M mega-round propelled the quarterly dollar total upwards.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity