Our State Of Telehealth report features data-driven insights from our emerging tech insights platform. We take a look at global telehealth investment trends in key segments, top deals, active investors, and more.
Q2’21 marked another record quarter for global telehealth investment, driven by accelerating digital transformation initiatives, growing focus on the patient experience, rising awareness of health inequities, and heightening pressure for regulatory reform.
In this report, we feature updates on global telehealth funding, M&A deals, partnership activity, and business models gaining traction. The report also covers trends within specific segments of telehealth, including telemedicine providers, platforms, & marketplaces, as well as remote monitoring & diagnostics.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT BELOW
- Global telehealth investment rose for the fourth consecutive quarter, growing 17% QoQ and 169% YoY to reach a record high of $5B across 163 deals (+6% QoQ and -4% YoY). The top 5 deals alone were worth $1.6B (representing 30% of Q2’21 funding).
- The nascent telehealth space is beginning to show signs of maturity. So far in 2021, early-stage deal share is tracking at a historical low — and late-stage share is at a high.
- Telehealth exits reached a record high in Q2’21, driven largely by M&A activity. While all telehealth segments saw acquisitions during the quarter, the 2 biggest hot spots were virtual/digital care enablement and telemedicine providers, platforms, & marketplaces.
- During Q2’21, 6 telehealth companies joined the unicorn club: Noom, KRY, Cerebral, LetsGetChecked, Thirty Madison, and Capsule. Globally, there are now 27 telehealth unicorns valued in aggregate at $55B.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity