Our 8th annual Tech IPO Pipeline Report features 281 of the most promising and highly valued private venture and private equity-backed technology companies in the United States.
This year’s Tech IPO Pipeline features 281 of the most promising and highly valued private venture and private equity-backed technology companies in the United States.
2019 has seen a slightly higher number of public listings by US VC-backed tech companies, but the biggest shift has come in fundraising. US VC-backed tech companies are raising significantly more capital prior to IPO, with the majority now reaching unicorn status before going public.
More value creation is accruing in the private markets. Driven by blockbuster listings such as Uber, Lyft, Pinterest, and Slack, the aggregate valuation of US VC-backed tech IPOs at the time of exit has reached $177B this year. However, post-IPO performance has been lackluster, with current stock prices either near or well below offering prices.
As we head into an election and see more public attention drawn to the corporate governance and financial performance of privately held high-flyers, it’s worth remembering that not all — and perhaps even few — of these 281 companies will IPO or seek a direct listing next year.
Some are just reaching the scale necessary to even consider going public, while others continue to tap into the abundant sources of growth capital in the private markets. And some will get out-competed and may never see a liquidity event.
Onward to 2020. For a comprehensive look at the data, download the full report.
This report was created with data from the CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers insights into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Company Profiles to quickly see a company’s funding history, financials, M&A activity, competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity
If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.