As retailers grapple with pandemic-induced changes to consumer behaviors, supply chains, and store operations, we look at the top AI trends that are poised to have the most immediate impact on the industry.
AI for retail took a hit in 2020. Amid pandemic-related uncertainties, investors treaded cautiously, and funding to the space fell 30% year-over-year.
Despite market disruption, retailers placed their bets on new AI solutions to adapt. To name a few:
- PepsiCo partnered with Dematic to set up micro-fulfillment centers.
- Kroger is debuting computer vision-powered smart shopping carts.
- Grocery retailers in Poland are testing AI for food waste reduction.
Retail AI funding has already reached a record high in 2021, driven by mega-rounds ($100M+) to vendors tackling issues like e-commerce fraud, e-commerce fulfillment, and first-party data analytics.
In this report, we examine AI trends that will shape retail in 2021 and beyond, including:
- AI-enabled e-commerce fraud prevention
- Investment in micro-fulfillment infrastructure
- Supermarkets tackling food waste reduction with AI
- First-party data strategy in a post-cookie world
- And more