Our healthcare report provides a data-driven look at global healthcare technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity.
The State Of Healthcare Report: Investment & Sector Trends To Watch features updates on global healthcare funding, M&A deals, partnership activity, and technology that’s gaining traction.
Our quarterly report also covers trends within specific areas of healthcare, including AI in healthcare, telehealth, medical devices, mental health, women’s health, omics, and cybersecurity.
- Global healthcare funding hit a new record in 2020. A total of $80.6B in equity funding was raised across 5.5K+ deals. North America, Asia, and Europe all saw a boost in funding year-over-year (YoY). There were 187 healthcare mega-rounds ($100M+) in 2020, a new record.
- Funding grew for the third consecutive quarter. Despite the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, funding trended up each quarter since Q1’20. However, Q4’20 deal activity declined by 13% quarter-over-quarter (QoQ).
- Early-stage deal share dropped off in Q4’20. The proportion of healthcare deals going to early-stage companies steadily declined since Q3’19. This trend continued in Q4’20 with mid- and late-stage deals increasing their share.
- Global digital health funding jumped by 45% YoY. Equity funding to digital health companies reached $26.5B in 2020 – an all-time high – while the annual deal count increased by 1%. However, both the funding and deal count for Q4’20 declined QoQ, by 2% and 21% respectively.
- Q4’20 saw a spree of digital health exits. There were a number of M&A activities as companies looked to consolidate their offerings. Meanwhile, companies such as Butterfly Network and Hims & Hers went public via SPACs as opposed to traditional IPOs.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity